Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Junior VIP Member
Is there anything different between a muslin background, a fabric shower curtian, and bed sheet?

What is truly the difference between the three? I was holding an all white muslin background in my hand from Camera Corner and it was priced at $99. I remember feeling like I was holding a king sized bed sheet in my hands. So is there a real defining difference between the three of them because if there really isn't I would rather spend 12 bucks on a all white shower curtain or 40 bucks on a king sheet.

Thank you in advance
  #2    Top
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Blue Angels 2009
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Is there anything different between a muslin background, a fabric shower curtian, and bed sheet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The People's Champion View Post
What is truly the difference between the three? I was holding an all white muslin background in my hand from Camera Corner and it was priced at $99. I remember feeling like I was holding a king sized bed sheet in my hands. So is there a real defining difference between the three of them because if there really isn't I would rather spend 12 bucks on a all white shower curtain or 40 bucks on a king sheet.

Thank you in advance
Lot's of variables but I can share a few thoughts. I recently got 2 muslin backdrops, white and black for a great price for both. Both are 10x20. This is one of the main reasons I got them. The other, the quality and durability will outlast any bed sheet or shower curtain, though it would be a pain to steam the wrinkles off when using them for a shoot. Also you get seamless material. I tried going to a fabric store to find anything this size but you'd have to get at least 2 pieces of material and sew them, only to remove the seam in photoshop.

There are lots of thin quality muslin or shear muslin that resemble bed sheet material. I got one from ebay that isn't bad but it's not the greatest either.

However, what's most important is the final image! I've used white bedsheets for portraits, foam board, curtains etc. If the final image comes out the way you want it then who cares really? One thing to keep in mind is the perception factor. Will the people you take pictures of care that you are using a curtain for a backdrop?

Here are a few images taken with White Queen bed sheet

http://www.photographycorner.com/for...ad.php?t=80495
http://www.photographycorner.com/for...ad.php?t=76078
http://www.photographycorner.com/for...ad.php?t=80327
  #3    Top
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Junior VIP Member
Re: Is there anything different between a muslin background, a fabric shower curtian, and bed sheet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Lot's of variables but I can share a few thoughts. I recently got 2 muslin backdrops, white and black for a great price for both. Both are 10x20. This is one of the main reasons I got them. The other, the quality and durability will outlast any bed sheet or shower curtain, though it would be a pain to steam the wrinkles off when using them for a shoot. Also you get seamless material. I tried going to a fabric store to find anything this size but you'd have to get at least 2 pieces of material and sew them, only to remove the seam in photoshop.

There are lots of thin quality muslin or shear muslin that resemble bed sheet material. I got one from ebay that isn't bad but it's not the greatest either.

However, what's most important is the final image! I've used white bedsheets for portraits, foam board, curtains etc. If the final image comes out the way you want it then who cares really? One thing to keep in mind is the perception factor. Will the people you take pictures of care that you are using a curtain for a backdrop?

Here are a few images taken with White Queen bed sheet

http://www.photographycorner.com/for...ad.php?t=80495
http://www.photographycorner.com/for...ad.php?t=76078
http://www.photographycorner.com/for...ad.php?t=80327
Actually those look great! Do you think a white muslin backgrounds would be even a brighter white than that? I think the white sheet would work based on your pictures. Thank you so much, And also thank you for answering my question!
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

doesn't matter what you use, lighting is key for getting the blown out backgrounds. I had to adjust levels in photoshop slightly to get the bright white I wanted considering at the time I was only using 2 lights and a piece of foam board. But if you could get the look down without having to go to post production the better!

Keep in mind the sheets will only be good for half body to head and shoulder shots, full body portraits will need more work area.

I'm not sure about the quality but B&H sells 10x20 muslin bg's for about $100 made by backdrop alley
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...352+4294953351
some reviewers do mention the quality is thin though.

Do you have space to use seamless paper? Much cheaper, but hard to transport if using a big size.
  #5    Top
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Is there anything different between a muslin background, a fabric shower curtian,

Nothing screams amateur like a wrinkled bed sheet for a backdrop.
  #6    Top
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

What a lot of people forget is that muslin is suppose to be wrinkled and have the straight out of the bag look, I however do not like that look and have converted to alternate backdrops. Just remember that muslin wrinkles very easily and it is extremely hard to keep ironed so if this is the effect you are going for than muslin is the way! Otherwise find another fabric source for your images. Just a quick $.02...

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #7    Top
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlove View Post
What a lot of people forget is that muslin is suppose to be wrinkled and have the straight out of the bag look, I however do not like that look and have converted to alternate backdrops. Just remember that muslin wrinkles very easily and it is extremely hard to keep ironed so if this is the effect you are going for than muslin is the way! Otherwise find another fabric source for your images. Just a quick $.02...

good point Lise! Out of curiosity what are the alternatives you use?
  #8    Top
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Junior VIP Member

Actually I would like to know too!
  #9    Top
Old November 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Currently, I use a soft white felt and a black soft velvet (both bought at a fabric store at a yard each). The velvet really gets my background black and the white gives a nice little texture especially in my newborn/baby shoots. These two backdrops are smaller than my muslin so I still use the muslin for larger groups or kids. However, I do not highlight the drop with lighting and I clip it to death to get it snug so I do not accentuate the muslin effect....hope this helps!

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #10    Top
Old November 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Junior VIP Member

Sweet! I appreciate it!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting