Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Junior VIP Member
Can someone give me a dummy's explanation to horizon line?

I have heard this alot. Is there a real crash course explanation to it and does every photographer have to obey the rules of it?
  #2    Top
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Can someone give me a dummy's explanation to horizon line?

Two general rules about the horizon line:

1. Keep it straight. A horizon that is crooked tends to distract from the scene.
2. Keep out of center for more impact. A "lower than center" horizon will tend to emphasize the sky [or whatever is above the horizon]. A "higher than center" horizon will tend to emphasize the foreground.

Now... someone will surely post that rules are meant to be broken. But you need to understand why the rule(s) exist... and then, if you break them, it is because you understand what the rule intends, and your process of breaking the rule is an intentional decision based on an aspect of composition that you might be trying to emphasize.

For example, taking a picture from a perspective that is intended to create dizziness would be more effective when the horizon is not straight.

Hope that helps.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #3    Top
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Junior VIP Member

How can someone else know that you intended to break the rule?

BTW I appreciate you answering my question
  #4    Top
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon_Mario View Post
Two general rules about the horizon line:

1. Keep it straight. A horizon that is crooked tends to distract from the scene.
2. Keep out of center for more impact. A "lower than center" horizon will tend to emphasize the sky [or whatever is above the horizon]. A "higher than center" horizon will tend to emphasize the foreground.

Now... someone will surely post that rules are meant to be broken. But you need to understand why the rule(s) exist... and then, if you break them, it is because you understand what the rule intends, and your process of breaking the rule is an intentional decision based on an aspect of composition that you might be trying to emphasize.

For example, taking a picture from a perspective that is intended to create dizziness would be more effective when the horizon is not straight.

Hope that helps.
Well said Mario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The People's Champion View Post
How can someone else know that you intended to break the rule?

BTW I appreciate you answering my question
If the images are for personal use and you like 'em it shouldn't matter what others think. To be honest I don't think I've ever seen a "landscape" that looks good tilted but if there is something else in the frame like a building, tree, etc that helps with the shot than go for it. Be creative, you are the artist and don't forget to have fun.
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Junior VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott111184 View Post
Well said Mario.

If the images are for personal use and you like 'em it shouldn't matter what others think. To be honest I don't think I've ever seen a "landscape" that looks good tilted but if there is something else in the frame like a building, tree, etc that helps with the shot than go for it. Be creative, you are the artist and don't forget to have fun.

Very much appreciate the comments. Thanks!
  #6    Top
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Toronto By Night
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott111184 View Post
While I would agree that a slightly tilted horizon does look un-intentional, and can be distracting, I think tilted horizons could work, and have often tried extreme tilts. Here are a few of mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3579dt.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	76424  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3668dpc.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	76425  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3673dpc2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	76426  
  #7    Top
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Junior VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad V View Post
While I would agree that a slightly tilted horizon does look un-intentional, and can be distracting, I think tilted horizons could work, and have often tried extreme tilts. Here are a few of mine:

Thanks for the examples. Where is the middle one taken at? How does a horizon line apply to portraits of people?
  #8    Top
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:23 PM

there are not as many markers for horizons in portraits when you are closeup. I recommend checking some of the Monte Zucker posing books out of your public library and looking at what he did. He often tilted the camera and then printed the image straight up to get the perspective he wanted.

joe
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101