Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 21st, 2009, 09:06 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Off camera lighting, post your shots!

This thread obviously has to do with OCF (off camera flash), wether it be speed lights or studio lights. So long as the flashes used are "off camera".

This thread is for learning purposes and all shots posted should have...

1. EXIF
2. What lights were used and how many
3. Wireless triggers used
4. Explanation of the set-up

As most of us know the Corner is dedicated to help you learn about photography and all aspects of photography. I think having this thread and showing how to accomplish the final image would be nice to have.
  #2    Top
Old November 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Off camera lighting, post your shots!

I'll start it off...

I don't remember the flash powers.

EXIF: 1/160sec, f/5.6, ISO 100, 75mm
Lights: 580EX and 430EX
Triggers: ISHOOT PT-04's (eBay)
Set-Up: See image; I didn't want it to look like Sherrisse was standing in a black hole so I used the 430EX inside the building to light it up.
  #3    Top
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Mallets
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Great thread Scott! I will be frequenting this thread both to share and to see what every else shares.

Here is mine!

Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/13.0
Focal Length: 80 mm
ISO Speed: 200
SB-600: 1/32 power into v card with diffusion silk over it, triggered with Cactus V2s.
(foamcore v card and white translucent curtain found at goodwill makes a great softbox)
Small reflector to the right of subject

Here is the set up shot:
  #4    Top
Old November 21st, 2009, 11:44 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Toronto By Night
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

This is my friends dog Deisal.

EXIF:
1/60th sec
f/8
ISO400
60mm on the 60mm Nikkor Macro f2.8
SB-800 flash, set to remote (sorry, I didnt note the flash settings).
D200 as commander
Flash hand held by a friend over the dogs head. Post processing included a tilt of the photo to get a more natural look to the angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2242-4.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	76542  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2242-3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	76543  
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Scott what a great thread!!!

Here's mine:

f/10
speed 1/200
iso 100
45mm

I wanted a soft even lighting over my subject but window light was a little on the weak side so I set my studio light at a 45 degree angle and used the window as a reflector. I got down and set a creative angle between me and my subject and took the shot (the set-up picture shows the light on the right but for this particular shot I moved the light to the left). Softbox lighting flashed by remote slave attached to light and my camera. I decided to bring the softbox close in to my subject since I knew it will create a soft even lighting, if I had brought the box further away the lighting would have created harsh shadows (taken from experience).

For illustration I did not include any post-production so you can see what was captured straight out of camera. No cropping was done in darkroom either, this is shot and shown as is. I think it is important to show the before and after but my after looks pretty much the same as sooc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lighting set-up.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	76548  

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #6    Top
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Premiere Member

^ Very nice Will, Brad and Lise! Thanks for sharing.
  #7    Top
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Premiere Member

EXIF: 1/200sec, f/5.6, ISO 100, 28mm
Lights: 580EX and 430EX
Triggers: ISHOOT PT-04's (eBay)
Set-Up: See above image
  #8    Top
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM

I ask this question as to learn. These are very nice shots. Have any of them been edited/photoshoped in any way?
Thanks
  #9    Top
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I ask this question as to learn. These are very nice shots. Have any of them been edited/photoshoped in any way?
Thanks
I process all the images I post. Mostly just levels, contrast, saturation and some sharpening.
  #10    Top
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Premiere Member

30D | Sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm | f/4 | 1/40th | ISO 400

430EX high and behind me shot through an umbrella.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101