Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 28th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: EKU Fountain
Where to we stop calling it a Photo and start calling it Art

I been reading a lot of sites lately for like photo contest
and I have seen a lot of images entered as a Photo but the image has no Camera info intact
so is it still a photo or an art image if no camera remains ?

most of the big contest say if no camera info is intact then it's not accepted
and some accept them only if the original is sent in as well.
but most only accept small changes like lighting or darking a photo
which doesnt remove camera info

what do you think ?
  #2    Top
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Senior VIP Member
I have been given reason to seriously think on this one lately, as I tended more towards thinking Photoshopped photos should be included in photo competitions, while at the same time swaying in the opposite point of view.

Surely it all depends on the kind of competition?
Photoshopn, and such programmes, put a picture more towards the advantage of being able to lie than an in camera effort. They do not show how well the photographer has been able to master the camera. And that is pretty much the point of photography competitions. Post proccessing in photoshop is generally only accepted upto the level that can only be obtained in the darkroom.
The info that comes with digital photos is proof that the presented photo has been captured in camera.
Film does not have that info though, so how can it be proved that the given info is true?
Well surely those in the know would recognise how true the pic measures up with the info. A photographer not in the know as to how to obtain the pic, would not know what info to give.

Photoshop, and such programmes, are an artform in their own right, and there are competitions for such digital imaging.
Maybe one day (hint, hint,) Tim will include digital imaging competitions too.
  #3    Top
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I will, down the road, include a digital imaging section to the site... we did do a PhotoShop Contest Corner Challenge last December. CCC#8, I believe.

As for the "photoshoped" photos, you gotta remember a fair extent of manipulation can be and was done in the darkroom, yet we still considered the result "photography"...
  #4    Top
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Senior VIP Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L. Walker
I will, down the road, include a digital imaging section to the site... we did do a PhotoShop Contest Corner Challenge last December. CCC#8, I believe.
As a regular thing, that will be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L. Walker
As for the "photoshoped" photos, you gotta remember a fair extent of manipulation can be and was done in the darkroom, yet we still considered the result "photography"...
Well yes. the darkroom is where every photo on film is proccessed, and little tricks have been happening in there for nearly as long as the camera is old. Photoshop does take things to entirely new heights though.
Perhaps it has become Photoshop verses Darkroom. A bit of an uneven match really.
  #5    Top
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:22 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
True enough. There is an ease of access to PS, as well as increased ability to make changes for sure.

As for the contests... they will come.
  #6    Top
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Senior VIP Member
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old May 28th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: EKU Fountain
ok Good points Steve
some things I hadnt consitered ( thats why I'm here to learn )

but then we have to fall back on the trust of the photographer is it a photo or digital art

Example my Spider image, yes is 2 photos put together but I would have to put them under digital art

and macro work is tuff exceptly with anything red
it seems to blend quicker than other colors so needs more playing with from a photo

maybe we need a digital art section
  #8    Top
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Premiere Member
Art can take any form. When it is the expression of the artist in whatever medium it is art. Anybody can crap in their hand then throw it against a wall and put a frame around it, but a true artist will have eaten corn first.
  #9    Top
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Junior VIP Member
Ya can't argue with that! Art is what the mind percieves to be beauty and we all know that that can take many shapes and forms but as far as the question goes is not photography art?...and the person taking the photo an artist?