Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Fay Lake
on the river

I like this image but something just doesn't feel right about it. What do you think?
ISO 400
f/5.6
sh.sp.1/800
focal length 106mm
lens 80-200mm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608worked.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	886.0 KB
ID:	77014  
  #2    Top
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: on the river

Maybe put the horizon on the Rule of thirds gridline? But it's still a very pleasing range of colors!!!

Eric
  #3    Top
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Account Disabled

Thank you Eric. I already cropped out some of the water in the foreground. I stopped the crop where I did because I like that calm water that is still visible there. I am glad that you like the range of colors, I think that i was doubting that part of the image the most.
Again thank you for your input, much appreciated.
  #4    Top
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

There is considerable noise in the skies and the left side is blurry in relation to the rest of the photo. Was it windy that day? Your shutter speed should have been sufficient for handholding and I'm a bit surprised that you have that much noise at that ISO. What camera and lens were used?

Did you do any post work? I think this image could benefit with some noise removal and some contrast and sharpening.
  #5    Top
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:38 PM
Account Disabled

Thank you oHenry. I did some adjustments on the noise as you suggested. I can really tell the difference and I do believe that it was the noise that was making me uncomfortable with the image. I also popped the contrast up a little and sharpened it some. I had done very little post work. I am fairly new to digital photography and it has been many years since I have photographed much at all. I was using a Canon Rebel XT with a Canon 80-200mm lens. It was quite breezy that evening on the river and perhaps I was a wee bit too excited to be shooting again, hence the blurriness. <;-/
Thank you again for your time and input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608workednoise.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	674.3 KB
ID:	77078