Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Question: Tripod and Head for a 600mm f/4

Would like to find out what sort of tripod head and tripod would support a Nikon D300s or Nikon D700 along with a 600mm lens.

As far as the tripod...I was thinking that a Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 (carbon fibre?) tripod would form a good enough base. Anybody else agree or disagree?
My Gear
  #2    Top
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:40 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Question: Tripod and Head for a 600mm f/4

If the weight rating will support the lens and camera, then fine....as far as the head, take a hard look at gimbal heads for a lens of that size.
  #3    Top
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks, Carl,

I've been looking at a Gitzo Series 5 carbon fibre tripod and a Kirk KC-1 King Cobra gimbal head. The main reason why is my mother has been wracking her brains trying to figure out a way of helping me achieve my dream of starting that photography business (portrait as well as wildlife)...and she's having me go back into real estate to sell her home (currently appraised at $1.7 million CDN) She wants me to put it on the market (once I've passed my courses...(I was in it from 1993-1998 and a little bit in 2002) for salesperson at 7% (straight across the board - priced commission wise for quick sale). Places have gone in that area for around $1.1 million and it seems the market is heating up rather than cooling off in Vancouver. So if I single end (listing agent)...I end up with $46,200 in pocket. If I double end, I end up with $77,000. Thus I'm going to have to research 100% house real estate companies in order to keep as much of my commission as possible.

The realtor's exam and lessons aren't the hurdle (that's just studying hard and making sure the knowledge is absorbed into the braincells). It's pricing the property so that it will sell quickly and yet, bring in a fair market value for what the seller (my mother) wants.

Who knows. I may get a couple of "ends" while I'm in real estate for the two years my license is valid.

And gee, I also get to screw the poor Board Photographer out of a couple of real estate listing photographs.
My Gear
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:37 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I have an older CF Gitzo 1325 that I love. I also have a Monfrotto, but it doesn't compare to the Gitzo.

Don't know much about the Kirk Gimbal head, but i know they make fine ball heads. I have a 4th Dimension Mongoose gimbal head that works like a charm with my Gitzo and my 400mm lens. The head I have wouldn't be strong enough for the 600mm, though.

Good luck with the real estate....not a market that I'd want to be in today (at least not here).
  #5    Top
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

In terms of which head to go with you could also check out Jobu gimbal heads.
Their BWG-Pro gimbal is good and is rated to hold the 600mm F4
http://www.jobu-design.com/catalog/i...54/6465541.htm
  #6    Top
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Senior VIP Member

Sorry to dredge this up from March, but just wanted to thank the guys that have replied. I've made a commitment towards saving for the Nikon 600mm f/4 VRII with Hysteriagrl's (my wife, and member of PC) approval. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to also go after the Gitzo 5541LS and the Wimberley (full) gimbal head at the same time. The lens and support (tripod/head) should be in my possession sometime in June 2012 which will be a wonderful 42nd birthday present.
My Gear
  #7    Top
Old September 15th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Gitzo is a great name, make a great product, but for the cost difference you may want to have a look at Feisol, I have a CT-3741 and would gladly put it up feature for feature to a Gitzo. The aftercare is incredible too.

Also I have a Manfroto 393 Gimbal and a Wimberley, can't go wrong with either of them, the WM is more money but very smooth.
  #8    Top
Old September 15th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Senior VIP Member

Thanks, Vince, I'll check that out. A definite $500.00 reduction in cost will allow me to get it in May instead of in June.
My Gear
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous