Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Parakeets
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Am frustrated with my dawn and dusk shots.. in dire state of mind about g such shots....Please help

Please look at the shot. First I request all to give critique about the composition. Any criticism is welcome. I composed the shot and did not have to compromise anything for composing the shot. So any fault found is mine not of the situation.

But the main problem is if look at the shot in full size. Here is the link http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/...ac90b3f3_o.jpg

You can easily find red fringes over the mountain and lots of noises in the frame. The noises could have been suppressed at the expense of sharpness. But I do not want to compromise with sharpness. Many overexposed portions over the peaks. Could not control the exposure there.

processing done in raw state. Two exposures ( low and high done in raw processing) blended. Details enhanced in adobe raw as per commonly used suggestions of respected Martin Evening. Amount 40, Radius 0.8, Detail 50, Masking 0. Then again used Unsharp mask in PS4 for the peaks, bushes, trees only. Green enhanced in channel mixer for the trees only. Processing error can be found at the top of the right (your left) extreme tree. Level used to correct the color cast. Finally gama corrected to decrease the light. Here is the EXIF. Please help. I found that I am bad at taking such shots and worse in processing them.
File Name _MG_3757.CR2, Camera Model Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL, Shooting Date/Time 12/31/2009 7:26:18 AM, Owner's Name Soumen Basu Mallick, Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE, Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/10, Av( Aperture Value ) 11.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering, Exposure Compensation -2/3, ISO Speed 100
Lens EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Focal Length 28.0 mm, Image Quality RAW, Flash Off, White Balance Mode Auto, AF Mode Manual focusing, Color Space Adobe RGB
Noise Reduction Auto, Drive Mode Self-Timer Operation, Tripod used.

#2    Top
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Am frustrated with my dawn and dusk shots.. in dire state of mind about g such shots....Please help

The red fringes are likely due to chromatic abberation of your lens. Since you're using ACR to process your RAW images, go to the CA tab and work it out. As far as noise, it's difficult to really see in this size, but when you pull info from shadows, you introduce more noise. Using noise reduction, you can take away most, if not all, of the noise. Noise reduction can be done in ACR or as one of your initial steps in Photoshop. If need be, you can always mask areas. Sharpening is done afterwards to restore the edges.
  #3    Top
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Marsh Hunter
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Am frustrated with my dawn and dusk shots.. in dire state of mind about g such shots....Please help

I think I'd like to see the forground lightened a bit and maybe increase the saturation on the trees. I like your composition though. Great shot!
For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? (Matt. 16:26)
LowcountryPhotography.net
My Flickr Page
http://scott-hansen.artistwebsites.com/

Scott C. Hansen
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Thank you Sir OHenry. Your suggestions will help me a lot. I shall again process the shot.
Thank you Scot. I shall increase light in the foreground.
  #5    Top
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Recent Photo: Storms At Sea

Love the shot

Here are some pointers about RAW processing in conjuntion with Photoshop

1 - If you plan to adjust the photo in Photoshop do not use sharpening in raw processing to bring out detail. What happens is that the sharpening artifically exaggerates edge contrasts and this has three effects - if you have chromatic abberation in the image this will be exaggerated and made worse, also the tonal range of the image has been artifically extended and its possible that the black and white points in the image have been relocated to the enhanced edges. This may cause any of the automated wizards in photoshop, such as the auto button on the curves adjustment, to operate off the wrong tonal range and give poor to disasterous results. Also if the image has noise in the shadows this will also be exaggerated by the sharpening As a general rule sharpening should be the last task in the digital workflow applied after you have dealt with chromatic abberation, tonal corrections and the removal of unwanted artifacs such as dust on the sensor etc.

2 - Use noise reduction in ACR sparingly. As it is applied globally you will lose some detail you may want to keep. It is most useful in obviously noisy phographs taken with a high ISO on low light situations where any detail is lost in the noise anyway. Where the noise is introduced by bringing detail out of shadows its better to use photoshops noise reduction filters with masking on areas with noise.

3 - As a general rule I use the RAW filter to get the histogram of the image optimised - ie try to remove clipping at the black and white ends of the histogram by adjusting the exposure, recovery, fill light and blacks slider, remove chromatic abberation using the lens tab and adjust the white balance to get the tonal range correct. I also use the raw filter to straighten the horizon where required and crop to the exact composition I want. All other processing I do in photoshop where the tools available are much better.

4 - When processing digital images the order in which you do the processing is critical to getting the best results. The order I was taught and use as a general rule is;

- When capturing the image on the camera the object is to catch as much data about the image as possible, Concentrate on getting an exposure that gets as much detail in the shadows and highlights as possible. The image may look flat as a result but this can be fixed in photoshop to get the mood you want. Also use the highest resolution your camera is capable of and frame the image so the image extends a little past the exact composition you want. This gives you more scope in photoshop or the raw plugin to level the horizon if necessary and crop the exact composition you want. Where possible shoot in raw format as with any other format the camera will usually apply sharpening and tonal adjustment algorithms to the image which may not give good results and will limit what you can do to the image in photoshop.

- The first step in processing the image is to remove major defects and get the composition correct. This includes levelling the horizon if the photo is skewed, using the crop tool to adjust the composition and the clone tool and spot removal tools to remove unwanted artifacts such as dust spots unwanted items such as inconvenient branches etc. Also to remove redeye and chromatic abberation. The order of these steps is level first, then crop, then remove artifacts then fix redeye and chromatic abberation. Most of these can be done in the raw plug in with the exception of cloning

- The second step is to get the overall colour and tonal range correct for the image. I usually find that using a curves adjustment layer in photoshop will usually suffice for this, especially if the image has some pure white, black or grey areas as in this case using the black, white or grey point eyedropper gives excellent results. Also by using an adjustment layer I can control the overall intensity of the adjustment using the opacity slider and by clicking on the layer mask I can adjust the effect at specific points of the image by painting black with a brush set to the desired level of opacity.

- The third step is to do any detail corrections on specific flaws in the image such as bringing out shadow detail, correcting areas where the global adjustments haven't given the best results such as artifacts introduced by the chromatic abberation filter, dealing with out of gamut colours etc. Again its best to use adjustment layers and layer masks to do this work as the adustments are non destructive and can be adjusted, extended or removed at any point in processing.

The fourth step is to apply any artisitc effects to get the mood you want. Usually this involves applying depth of field effects such as blurring backgrounds, adjusting the exposure, adding contrast or photographic filters etc. It is usual to start this processing by first applying a little sharpening to enhance detail before moving on to the other effects.

The fifth step is to process the image for publishing in whatever media the final result will be viewed in. If it is to be printed on a ink jet ptinter it is advisable to over sharpen the image a little in photoshop at this point as the ink jet will soften the image. For viewing on a screen or emailing etc the image needs to be scaled to give an acceptable file size. I always keep my photoshop image at this point and only do the final adustments on a copy as I may want to publish on several media so I make a copy for each type of media.

The above is what works for me but there are so many ways of doing digital imaging there is no absolutely correct way. I hope the above is of some use to you

Regards

Andrew
  #6    Top
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Premiere Member

Thank you Andrew. You were very helpful. The tips given by you will immensely help me. Thanks again.

Regards,

Soumen
  #7    Top
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Premiere Member

Reprocessed the image from raw. Please give feedback.

#8    Top
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:05 PM

This is much better without the chromatic abberation and less noise.

However for me I think I preferred the darker exposure in your original processing as it gave a great mood to the shot.

I would suggest you try using an exposure adustment layer in photoshop and reduce the exposure a tad and move the gamma slider slightly to the right to enhance the contrasts. This should make the image more punchy and enhance to mood.

Regards

Andrew
  #9    Top
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Oh and by the way you need to be careful when correcting the white balance on these dawn or dusk shots. The white balance adjustment will correct for any colour casts in the image, but the red colour cast in dawn and dusk shots is exactly why you wait for those golden moments.
  #10    Top
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Premiere Member

Thank you Andrew. I shall do that. Your feedback were immensely helpful for me. Thanks again.