Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
help with calibration

ok, i have 3 images here all are different monitor calibration settings. which does everyone think is the best? please try not to be influenced by the other votes.

after everyone votes i'll post which product i used to do the calibration

thanks

Mike Leggero

http://www.michaelleggero.com

#2    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Re: help with calibration

I am by no means on a great monitor myself, but from what I can see I prefer #3.

jessegrossphoto.wordpress.com
  #3    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:58 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

#1 appears too dark. #2 looks best, for me. #3 seems too richly saturated and not as natural as #2. I'm guessing that all, if any, post processing is identical?

I pulled all three into Photoshop and viewed them using my calibrated monitor rather than rely on what I see from a non-color aware browser.

All of the colors look okay. The only differences that are readily apparent is the level of brightness, which obviously affects the tones.
  #4    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I like #3 the best!

Teal
  #5    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: All Alone
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I'd have to go with #3. #1 is dark, #2 is bright, and #3, like Goldilocks said is just right. But I suppose it depends how you edited it and what the light conditions were like when you shot it. The thing also is with LCD monitors, the angle of view really affects the brightness of shots. This kinda thing drives me nuts because I'll look at a shot on at least 3 different monitors and they all look different with my calibrated desktop, calibrated laptop and uncalibrated desktop.
You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

And now I know the real Mike Dorn too!
  #6    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Also recognize that not all browsers are color aware (exceptions are Safari and Firefox (if set up for it)) and your monitor calibration does not affect what my monitor sees (directly) and many people do not have calibrated monitors and most factory set monitors are WAY too bright.
  #7    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: All Alone
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
Also recognize that not all browsers are color aware (exceptions are Safari and Firefox (if set up for it)) and your monitor calibration does not affect what my monitor sees (directly) and many people do not have calibrated monitors and most factory set monitors are WAY too bright.
I also put them in PS and looked at the histogram, #2 is hot in several spots. the other 2 are much better.
You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

And now I know the real Mike Dorn too!
Sponsors
  #8    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

#2 from this end - but is a little bright . . .

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #9    Top
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

ok, the results are in, i did this survey on several different forums on the internet and the majority like #3 the best

i am using a 27" imac from fall of 2009
image 1 is the normal imac color profile that comes from the factory

image 2 is with the spyder 3 elite using their software.

image 3 which is the most accepted is using the spyder 3 elite but the software was from Coloreyes Display Pro

so my theory is that spyder 3 sucks on it's own because that one was the worst of them all. but using the spyder 3 with the other company's software is the most accepted.

however.... since there are so many companies out there doing calibration and they all say their formula is the best one we have a problem

each company has different settings.
so if you didn't do this survey like i did you would be blind still thinking that #2 was correct because you followed the directions and used spyder's software. here's the problem for example

i shoot and do my post on my calibrated monitor. i send it to the editor or ad agency but they are looking at it on their monitor which was calibrated by another company.. so it will look different because these companies cannot agree on which profile is correct??

i suppose calibration will get me closer than i was before but it still not a perfect world by a long shot

Mike Leggero

http://www.michaelleggero.com
  #10    Top
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Winter Sunset
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I also think it depends on the type of monitor you have. Some just view darker. Laptops, LED and LCD all look different than the actual print produced. We always have to bump up the brightness in our images a little because of this.

Canon 7D~Canon Digital Rebel XT ~ Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS ~ Tamron 28-75mm ~ Canon 50mm prime~ Sigma 17-70 ~ Canon 18-55mm ~ Canon 75-300mm

http://www.visions-imagery.com/
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Landscapes