Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Let there be light
what would be the first thing you would buy

Ok I have limited money, and I want to start buying equipment, outside of extra lens for my camera tripod,or remote, what would you buy first if you have Nothing. And also want to be a bit portable.
Reflecters, umbrella, continuous lighting, softbox, back drops and stand, extrenal flash?

I am thinking is it is getting colder and I will have to bring my photography inside more, that I would like to start off with what I really need for inside photography. Thanks everyone
  #2    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: what would be the first thing you would buy

External flash . . .

What's the budget here?

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #3    Top
Old November 5th, 2010, 08:12 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I'd also opt for an external flash first....and a bracket to get it off camera. Your budget would dictate what route to go. I use 2 external flashes, stands, umbrellas, reflector, and remote firing mechanisms. Since I don't do portrait work beyond personal use, I haven't found a need to go with more powerful studio units.
  #4    Top
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Winter Sunset
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I am portable and have nearly everything a studio would use. I have backdrops, backdrop stands, 3 lights with umbrellas, and softboxes, two external flashes, reflectors, tripods and monopods. My husband built me a box (out of a toolbox that stands up with wheels and a handle for easy transport) to carry a power supply in so I can set up nearly anywhere as long as my battery holds up. Usually I have my clients find an indoor place but if need be I have set up all of my equipment outside.

If you are on a super tight budget, I would go with reflectors and try to shoot where there is a good light source. If you have a little extra cash to spare, I would go for the external flashes. They can be a little pricey, but I would not get a cheap one. Make sure you research them and get one that suits your needs.

Canon 7D~Canon Digital Rebel XT ~ Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS ~ Tamron 28-75mm ~ Canon 50mm prime~ Sigma 17-70 ~ Canon 18-55mm ~ Canon 75-300mm

http://www.visions-imagery.com/
  #5    Top
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Let there be light

Thanks everyone. The thing is I only have about $500.00 right now. That is why I was wanting to know what I should get first. I plan on shooting potraits also, if that helps. I hope to have another 500.00 at tax time to spend, so I am gathering a list from what is most important first. Thanks again
  #6    Top
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:16 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Go through this guy's tutorials. He makes a great case for using off camera flash and will give you lots of insight.
  #7    Top
Old November 7th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: All Alone
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
Go through this guy's tutorials. He makes a great case for using off camera flash and will give you lots of insight.
Great link, thanks! Lots of great stuff.
You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

And now I know the real Mike Dorn too!
  #8    Top
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Cheapest while staying reliable...

Flash...

Vivitar 285 HV... $89.95

Triggers...

Cybersync CST trigger... $59.95
Cybersync CSRB receiver... $69.95 (1 for each off camera flash)

Stands & umbrellas...

Impact stand/umbrella kit... $98.95

Acc..

Hotshoe adapter for Vivitar 285HV... $11.00 (1 for each flash)

TOTAL = 329.80 + shipping and handling. Heck I would use the extra for another 285HV, CSRB and adaptor but thats just me. Hope this helped.
Sponsors
  #9    Top
Old December 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Speedlights, and triggers, I made a hefty investment in some decent speedlights and triggers and its amazing how flexible it is.

I have
2x Nissin Di622's as side lights
1x SB900 as Key light, which I shoot though a beauty dish.
  #10    Top
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:21 PM

A speedlight, tripod, and camera bag
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting