Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > The Marketplace > Business of Photography

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Photo book help!!!

For the past 2 years I have made a photo book based on and around my granddaughter. So far I have used Mpix, and MyCanvas (SmugMug).

MyCanvas was great quality, but they don't ship to Canada anymore, and I wasn't too impressed by the book spine of the Mpix book.

Seeing that I am in Canada I would like to use a Canada based company. Unfortunately I can't find the options that Mpix and MyCanvas offered - complete freedom for page design.

Kodak, elephoto, and Walmart only offer certain templates to place photos in, which are no good for me, as I have, at times, too many photos I would like to place on one page, so the templates just don't work.

Does anyone have an idea where I could go from here, who I could go with?

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #2    Top
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Photo book help!!!

Well depending on how much you want to spend / quality the very best books I've ever seen, touched and bought are from a place called Pikto in Toronto. The paper and processing is unlike no other books I've seen.

You can do it all online as well and have the confidence that it will be incredible.

www.pikto.com
  #3    Top
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Popular compiled a list of the top 10. They are:

Adorama
Aperture
Blurb
Kodak
Mpix
Mypublisher
Picaboo
Shutterfly
Smilebooks
Snapfish

I have personally used Shutterfly and their quality is very good and they're pretty versatile.
http://toths.us/GJT
Matthew 25:31-46
Feel free to comment/critique my images.
  #4    Top
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM
The One and Only
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks so much for your help.

Turns out that a friend of mine called me last night with a company's name - Treasure-Book.com - which they used before.

They are in BC, so I thought I'd give them a go.

The process was very easy, gave me complete control over layout, etc., and now I'm hoping that it will all turn out good.

I'll post again once I've got the books. Fingers crossed!!!

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
The One and Only

Okay, so I went with Treasure_Book.com/

Received the books today and am very pleased!

The photos turned out a little darker than they seemed on my laptop and desktop, but still pretty good. I've had the same problem with my two previous books, ordered from other companies. So, it might be an issue my end?!

Overall I am very, very happy!!!

And I have to say - customer service was outstanding!!!

Prior to printing I was informed of an error I'd made, which really could have been ignored by them, and they sorted it out for me. Delivery was incredibly fast. I was also informed of each step - processing, completion, posting!

I would certainly recommend this company!!!

#6    Top
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Good stuff, just for the future you may want to ask for their printer profile, if so you should be able to colour correct to match what they print.
  #7    Top
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:18 AM
The One and Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Maidens View Post
Good stuff, just for the future you may want to ask for their printer profile, if so you should be able to colour correct to match what they print.
Thanks for the tip. Not that I'm quite sure what this would entail, but I guess it's worth looking into.

#8    Top
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:37 PM

I just print the photos myself using a Canon Pixma iP4500. My printer settings: RGB Color Space: sRGB; Color Rendering Intent: Colorimetric Absolute; Color Mode: CMYK Proof; CMYK Proof Profile: USA. These settings create the most accurate reproduction of the original image as possible, and with an ink droplet size of 1 picoliter, the picture quality is great, but the ink consumption is ungodly (surprisingly, even with the printer spitting out 1 picoliter droplets, I can still print approximately 100 4x6 pictures with full ink tanks). I'm not going to start up the whole debate about print resolution vs what the eye can see. I am only going to say that ink droplet size is much more of a factor for smaller prints; when you start getting down into the 5x7, 4x6, postcard, and wallet-size prints, then ink droplet size is a significant factor in picture quality, but for anything larger than 5x7, ink droplet size does not matter all that much.

The other determining factor is the printer itself. Not all printers are capable of accurately reproducing the image the way it came out of the camera (the thing to look for in any printer is not so much the printer profile but whether or not the printer offers the ability to print directly from the camera; this means the printer has an onboard digital signal processor, which means the printer will print out exactly the same image that's on the camera).
Canon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 wide-angle
Canon SpeedLite 430EZ flash in A-TTL mode
Quantaray QSX 9502TM heavy-duty tripod/monopod combo
  #9    Top
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:22 PM

As far as photo books, I just go to a photo store, find a small 4x6-size photo album (if you ask for a photo portfolio, they will lead you to the right stuff), then print out the pictures and put them in the album and use it as a book. The "book" itself is anywhere between $3 and $15, so they're pretty good price for a 4x6 book-type album.
Canon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 wide-angle
Canon SpeedLite 430EZ flash in A-TTL mode
Quantaray QSX 9502TM heavy-duty tripod/monopod combo
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > The Marketplace > Business of Photography