Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Feedback > Questions & Suggestions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 7th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Linking vs attachments - quality comparison

Assuming I understand this correctly, a member can present images either of 2 ways: you can link to your image hosted at another location (ie PC's gallery or another webhost such as Flickr, Photobucket, etc) OR you can upload an image as an attachment directly to the post and directly from your computer.

Some of us using linked images from other webhosts, presumably mostly using the Insert Image icon to readily do the linking. Others of us use attachments. I've done both.

Linking seems to have the advantage of being readily seen by other members viewing the thread. The image is also retained as one is replying to it, a VERY useful attribute when critiquing a photo so that one can refer back to the photo being critiqued as one composes the critique. Attachments do NOT have that ability which, frankly, is rather annoying and a disincentive to critiquing posts with attachments.

Attachments arguably have the advantage(?) of convenience of direct uploading. What is seen here is a large thumbnail. Clicking on it gives an enlargement. Depending on the size of the attachment originally uploaded, it may take additional clicks to get to the actual original. It does open additional windows which does add to computer overhead and necessitate any viewer having to close....ie original poster's convenience, viewers' inconvenience.

My experience in the past elsewhere is that ALL attached images suffered some to a lot of degredation from file compression. Clearly attached images, particularly large uploaded files, likewise have compression/degradation issues here as well......BUT you have the ability here to continue clicking thru to eventually get to the original(?) file. Is there any compression or otherwise degradation of the uploaded file if viewed at its maximum (original?) resoltution here as compared with it being webhosted and linked?
  #2    Top
Old May 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Linking vs attachments - quality comparison

I think that since you are limited in size of attachment ( I.e. Size of file) there will always be more degradation than linking to a higher res ( and usually larger ) file on a hosted web site, assuming the host let's you upload larger and higher res files.

I'd also add that members have galleries here that they can load files into and link them from there, as well as using other hosted web sites. There are limits to the size of files that members can upload into the galleries, but they are not limited in terms of number of files they can upload.

I'll leave it for Tim and/or some other mod to correct me if I am wrong about that.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:53 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

We compress photos uploaded to the server at 95% (considerably higher than most other sites, which usually do 80%). The advantage of uploading to the site is that, in 2 years, your photo will still be part of that thread should someone wander through it... whereas if you direct link from somewhere else, the photo may have since been removed... know what I mean?
  #4    Top
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Account Disabled
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Attachments DO have a few smaller conveniences.....and several major (to me at least) inconveniences. They are direct (easier) for the Original Poster (OP). As Tim pointed out, once attached they stay with the thread (assuming there aren't server malfunctions in the interim)....I just don't know how important that attribute is.

I can say, and maybe its just me, that this site has more attachments than others I've frequented. Enough so that its getting to be a pain to open every thumbnail attachment (click once), open it again to full(er) size (2nd click), and sometimes have to open it further to full size (3rd click).....then I have to close the new window(s) to avoid cluttering up my computer. It seems to me that the convenience to the OP is FAR more offset by the inconvenience to viewers. I try to stay current and review everyone's posts, particularly images, by others but I'm changing my commitment.

I don't want to take away the feature....it is sometimes very convenient. However, I do want to advise others FWIW that I find myself skipping over images that are posted merely as thumbnail attachments.....unless they appear as very compelling.

If you want to maximize the chance that I, and perhaps others, will view your image(s) then I recommend that you post it as a full image, ie link it from PC's gallery or some other web host (Photobucket, Flickr, etc).....PARTICULARLY if you have multiple attachments.
  #5    Top
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Zeeland

Thought it to be good to bring this thread up again. Good to read the choices. But we should ask people NOT to use the attachment thing, just ask people to upload to the site or external sites. As Russ says especially with more pics it's worth it to post the shots directly!

Starting Photographer | Nikon D3100 | Canon AE-1 | Like to learn!

You might want to consider uploading through the PC-Galleries!
  #6    Top
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I'm with Russ. I have a love/hate relationship with the attachment feature. If someone posts a shot using attachments, it often looks really nice in snapshot, where every shot looks nice and sharp. Click on the full resolution file, though, and the reality is often different. Where this is especially irritating is in the contest polling booths, frankly, though I don't really know a better way to present those shots. Well...having said that, I think POTY, with the Gallery view, does a much better job. I'm sure that's significant extra work for Tim/Mods, though.

To be fair, flickr's algorithms, as well as some others, sometimes seem to shift colors or over-sharpen--not often, but it does seem to happen.

For me, the ability to review a shot to make very specific comments is important. If I had a suggestion, it would be no attachments in the Critique, and allow attachments elsewhere. Of course, we could always adjust the compression from 95% to 80%, but there's a cost with that as well. Of course, given that extra cost, it would also provide incentive to start pusing for more hosting.

Another benifit of asking for hosting is that it could push more people to the Gallery (which, frankly, I hardly ever use). If it takes a Premier membership to post a photo there, it might make for more incentive to become a Premier member. Just a thought....

I think this is an important enought discussion to resurect. Thanks, Bartjan!

flickr Photostream
  #7    Top
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Account Disabled

For months now I've been biting my tongue until its so much hamburger! I flat out find using attachments AS THE MAINSTAY of posting images as inconsiderate. IMO the use of attachments has its place....but only VERY infrequently. I use attachments when redoing someone's image during an attempt to visually offer them alternatives in my critique, mostly so that I don't have to even temporarily "own it" by posting to my webhosts.

Unquestionably any poster consistently using attachments in deference to linking from a webhost is opting for viewers to be inconvenienced rather than themselves. While I fully acknowledge its NOT my call as to what can/should be allowed re using attachments, I can tell you that I tolerate it begrudgingly, especially when used by members who've had ample opportunity to learn better (linking), more considerate ways to post their images. I don't deal with posts containing attachments nearly to the same degree that I do those using linked images and I suspect others feel the same. For several months now there seems to have been a declining use of the "higher road" of linking.

I'll also accept that attachments are an alternative for the brief interim while novices become familiar/comfortable with the ultimately MUCH better (ease, quality) image linking method. If one has reservations about how to use linking (there are ample FREE sites including here at Photography Corner's gallery), there's specific instructions listed under the Feedback/Questions & Suggestions forum as listed on the main forum page (near the bottom). There are several "sticky" threads providing instructions on how to use linking. If there any specific questions there are always folks around to readily respond.

ELEVATE your game........LINK!
  #8    Top
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Account Disabled

Further............just to confirm my suspicion of a growing trend to using what I'll term "low road" attachments, I counted the percentage of posts with attachments (exclusive of contests) and found that 17 of the last 40 posts (24 hours worth) used attachments, i.e. 43% of them. On any given image forum's 1st several pages, Sharing OR Critique, they range from 15 - 75% of the posts use attachments, more so on the People forums......not sure what that says!

My opposition to using principally attachments to display images is that it is a deterrent to freely, conveniently viewing and discussing/critiquing images, a mainstay of community activity.....and any deterrent to such activity is NOT healthy.....IMHO.

Last edited by Russ; January 14th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
  #9    Top
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Admittedly the one thing I dislike about attachments is the lack of being able to view them while making a comments on them. I end up having to open a separate window just to view the image while making comments. Its rather inconvenient.
  #10    Top
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
Admittedly the one thing I dislike about attachments is the lack of being able to view them while making a comments on them. I end up having to open a separate window just to view the image while making comments. Its rather inconvenient.
It took me awhile but I discovered that clicking on the Quick Reply button (ie pencil) located to the right of the Quote and Q+ buttons allows you to view the whole thread....including the attachment.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Feedback > Questions & Suggestions