Name for Photography Business? - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > The Marketplace > Business of Photography

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Junior VIP Member
Name for Photography Business?

For anyone who has started a photography business do you use your name or come up with a totally different name for your business?

Thinking of doing a little work on the side and I do have a name I came up with but I'm wondering if it's better to just use some variation of my name.

I welcome input, suggestions, pros and cons of each.
  #2    Top
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Great Blue Heron
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Name for Photography Business?

I, along with my wife, came up with the name FalconRose Photography. "Falcon" because I personally am interested in wildlife photography and Heather and I picked "Rose" because we were both born in June (rose is the flower for the month of June).

There are several pros and cons to using either your own name or a completely different name all together.

PRO for using your own name.

1. It increase customer recognition with YOUR BRAND of photography.

CON for using your own name

1. If you choose at some point to sell your business, you may end up not being able to sell the business because customers identify with YOU being the business.

PRO for using a different name:

1. easier to sell a successful business, because customers don't identify with the photographer, but more with the BRAND.

CON for using a different name:

1. customers can't easily identify with what the photographer does, or has a mistaken idea of what the photographer does and doesn't choose your BRAND.
My Gear
  #3    Top
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

+1111 to The Animals response!!

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #4    Top
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Junior VIP Member

Thanks Animal! Very good points.
  #5    Top
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Animals pretty much hit that one on the screws....

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
  #6    Top
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:45 PM

I know this thread is several months past but, for the sake of new readers, let me add this:

When coming up with the name of a business, you also need to ask yourself what your future plans for the business are.

When my fiancee and I first decided to combine our working experience into an entrepreneurial endeavor, we knew we needed to do two things right off the bat: Come up with a name that was immediately personal to the area we wanted to serve and develop our business not just as a niche tradename but, rather, as an actual brand.

To that end, "603 Media Group" was born. The "603" is the area code for New Hampshire - our prime area of service. "Media Group" reflects the fact that, although we are primarily photographers, we also have considerable experience in many other facets of media. We didn't want to pigeon-hole ourselves into just being a "photography" company.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was a good choice. We have a recognized name in both print and radio in our state, we are frequently called upon to perform services for government agencies and the two major concert venues in the state and, although we are a small enterprise, the name carries in conversation and in referrals like a much larger organization and that definitely helps get our foot in the door with larger clients.

As a real-world example: My fiancee did a photo shoot last year for a medical magazine on Crohn's disease. She was contacted after the publishing company found our business through a last-minute Google search when their photographer was unable to fly out to New Hampshire for the shoot. Jesse went up to Dartmouth Hospital, spent just under 90-minutes with the doctor, delivered three (that's right, THREE) processed photos to the publisher and walked away with $3,000.

So, I guess my point is, consider your future plans and make every decision now with the future in mind.
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old June 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthfan0523 View Post
I know this thread is several months past but, for the sake of new readers, let me add this:

When coming up with the name of a business, you also need to ask yourself what your future plans for the business are.

When my fiancee and I first decided to combine our working experience into an entrepreneurial endeavor, we knew we needed to do two things right off the bat: Come up with a name that was immediately personal to the area we wanted to serve and develop our business not just as a niche tradename but, rather, as an actual brand.

To that end, "603 Media Group" was born. The "603" is the area code for New Hampshire - our prime area of service. "Media Group" reflects the fact that, although we are primarily photographers, we also have considerable experience in many other facets of media. We didn't want to pigeon-hole ourselves into just being a "photography" company.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was a good choice. We have a recognized name in both print and radio in our state, we are frequently called upon to perform services for government agencies and the two major concert venues in the state and, although we are a small enterprise, the name carries in conversation and in referrals like a much larger organization and that definitely helps get our foot in the door with larger clients.

As a real-world example: My fiancee did a photo shoot last year for a medical magazine on Crohn's disease. She was contacted after the publishing company found our business through a last-minute Google search when their photographer was unable to fly out to New Hampshire for the shoot. Jesse went up to Dartmouth Hospital, spent just under 90-minutes with the doctor, delivered three (that's right, THREE) processed photos to the publisher and walked away with $3,000.

So, I guess my point is, consider your future plans and make every decision now with the future in mind.
Great points...

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
  #8    Top
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
Recent Photo: xmaslightsDSC_4005
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I think much depend on the type of photography you do for pay. Most wedding photgs I know use their name as apart of their business name.

Freelance photog's also seem to use their name more often than a business.

In the photos I shoot for pay I know 2 people who use their names, and 5 who do not myself included. Agiledogs Photography is the name I use for the business.

Obviously, I do not shoot wedding, nor do I plan to shoot weddings or things like senior portraits. If I was to change, I would need to consider changing to using my name as my current business name would not be suitable I think for a wedding photog.

Over the past few years I have built a good solid reputation in the dog sports event photography arena, and continue to do so. Building your reputation for your work ultimately is most important as that is what keeps people coming back for more photos.
  #9    Top
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Junior VIP Member

Thanks for the renewed interest in this thread guys! Some excellent new points.
  #10    Top
Old June 26th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Altus Dominus Ybodon
Recent Photo: Revolutionary Man
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Is there anyway we could just make these points part of the sticky threads? I've been trying to crossover from pure hobby into business and have been racking my brain about possible names as well. While this didn't give me the answers it definitely shows I'm thinking in the right direction. It also gave me a few things to think about that I hadn't even considered yet.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > The Marketplace > Business of Photography