Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: Would you want PhotographyCorner to have a mobile app?
Yes, and I would donate some money to make it happen. 8 50.00%
Yes, but I wouldn't pay anything for it. 1 6.25%
I don't care either way. 6 37.50%
No - do people honestly browse the web on their phones? 1 6.25%
You may not vote on this poll

#1    Top
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:23 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Interest in a PhotographyCorner Mobile App?

The software that this forum runs on (vBulletin) has just released a mobile app (info here: http://www.vbulletin.com/mobile). Would there be interest in this? There's a purchase cost of $99, then whatever time it takes me to set up. Thoughts? Want it? It would work on iPhone's and Android phones...
  #2    Top
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Interest in a PhotographyCorner Mobile App?

It seems that $99 is a bargain here - from looking briefly at the blurb you can customise the software to basically create an app that gives you the corner on a phone / ipad?

So - rather than go for donations - stick it on the app store at 99c (59p in the UK) and then hopefully people will buy - have a look on the app store for other photography related apps and you will see what is selling and what isn't.

I think that this would be a great thing for the corner - and would hopefully drive some revenue via click throughs as well?

My understanding is that this is a more efficient portal then using your portable device's web browser as it's dealing with the data / images directly - is that right?

Just think - the little photography corner symbol appearing on the apple store and on peoples' mobile devices - how much kudos is that?

Andy

ps. make certain that it does the iPad as well . . but native . . .

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #3    Top
Old April 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I think I'd rather have it free in the iTunes and Android marketplace... rather than charging $.99... people are cheap. $99 isn't much upfront (though people can chip in if they want). Hopefully it won't take much time for me to set up... we'll see. Would love to know at least a couple dozen people would use it before I invent my time in money in it, though... know what I mean?
  #4    Top
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

How about adding TapaTalk to this forum? It's a really nice app for forums and it already exists (although it's not free for the app). Don't know what (if any) costs are involved in setting it up.
  #5    Top
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Brother
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Works on Android phones? I'm in!
Allentown, PA Corner Meetup!
I know the REAL Mike Dorn!!
  #6    Top
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj_Delikat View Post
Works on Android phones? I'm in!
And iPhone and Windows7 and BlackBerry, I think
  #7    Top
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I'll admit it, Tim: I'm an app addict. Therefore, I wouldn't mind having an app. The question, though, is what exactly would it provides that's different than simply using the built-in browser? I run Android 2.2, and using the default browser, I can read through this site just fine.

flickr Photostream
  #8    Top
Old April 23rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I'd be interested in an app, in most cases I like a well made app over going to a web site. Exception might be the deviant art website, their mobile website is app worthy as is...
The advantage to an app is it can be setup to maximize what the phone will do. I also think a native ipad mode would be fabulous.
  #9    Top
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Would this app on your phone give you the same ability
as you have on the computer???
  #10    Top
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:12 PM
The Corner Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
How about adding TapaTalk to this forum? It's a really nice app for forums and it already exists (although it's not free for the app). Don't know what (if any) costs are involved in setting it up.
I've looked into TapaTalk in the past... there are a couple of reasons that I haven't implimented it to date. 1) the app costs $2.99 for each person 2) If I don't want their branding and ads on it, it costs me $1800 upfront 3) I've heard from other forum admins that they're kind of a headache to deal with.

In addition, after looking at the vBulletin mobile suite, it looks like it's a better build than tapatalk, as it works ONLY with this forum software, so it's a little cleaner to use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjin_nav View Post
I'll admit it, Tim: I'm an app addict. Therefore, I wouldn't mind having an app. The question, though, is what exactly would it provides that's different than simply using the built-in browser? I run Android 2.2, and using the default browser, I can read through this site just fine.
Well, it would actually do less than using a built in browser... from what I can tell, it's a stripped down version of the site - less loads, it's more compact. It's smaller-screen friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonkidforever View Post
The advantage to an app is it can be setup to maximize what the phone will do. I also think a native ipad mode would be fabulous.
EXACTLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital2006 View Post
Would this app on your phone give you the same ability
as you have on the computer???
Pretty much. Even as a mod, you'll be able to do some mod stuff from your phone, too.