Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Urban Scenes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
The last drag

Taken a few years ago at the corner of Simcoe and Queen in downtown Toronto, home to an ever-changing group of homeless Aboriginal people, until the construction of a mixed-use highrise complex drove them off.
motorized Nikon F2AS
Nikkor 105 2.5 AI manual focus
Fuji !00 ISO colour slide

#2    Top
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: The last drag

Robert, powerful image exquisitely done. Sharpness, exposure, DOF all superb. Please share your thoughts on the framing. I absolutely agree on the upper, right, and bottom edges but wonder if cropping in about 25% on left would further emphasize his face/cigarette/hand.....but there is such a thing as claustrophically tight!!!
  #3    Top
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Recent Photo: Published
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Wow Robert! I agree about the left side of the image maybe taking about 2" off and see what it does to add more emphasis on his face, and that last bit of cigarette.

Everything else is exquisite! Surely you know your way around that camera. Very well seen and taken.

https://www.facebook.com/sharnalee65

I am currently an Official Photographer for Delicious Dolls Magazine.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #4    Top
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:45 PM

thanks Russ.
A 25% crop seems a bit extreme because if his shoulder is cropped, his hair loses any definition of shape and becomes a black mass that goes off the frame. I think I prefer it as is just because his shoulder "anchors" the picture on the left side.
  #5    Top
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM

thanks Sharna.
I'd better know the F2 by now, since I've been shooting with mine since 1988.
As for the crop, taking a couple of inches off the left side, in addition to the aforementioned loss of hair definition, also puts the ciggerette dead-center in the frame as apposed to being essentially at a thirds position as it is now.
  #6    Top
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:56 PM

I agree & disagree with the cropping suggestions.....cropping on the left would place him better in the frame,as he is facing the right it would be best to have more space there. That being said,the hair is an integral part of this composition........Best as is.........powerful,moving image Robert.
  #7    Top
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:20 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I agree, a powerful image. I wouldn't crop any further, I think the nonverbal body language (stooped shoulders) enhances the overall effect of the picture.

Teal
  #8    Top
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:03 AM

RBSinTo,
I think you should be critiquing pictures rather than posting it for criticism! Using the camera for that long..you are absolutely right when you said "I'd better know"

The way you argued about the crop just blows me away. The Cigarette at the thirds . Naisse!!

Its not often that i see a natural photo being technically so right and yet preserving the natural essence of it.
Brilliant!

Hats off for the "i shoot with F__I__L__M"

Share more....please!
  #9    Top
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:33 AM

Great capture, very powerful image.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Urban Scenes