Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > SLRs (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: Which eye do you hold to your camera's viewfinder?
I use my RIGHT eye and I'm right handed 62 64.58%
I use my LEFT eye and I'm right handed 26 27.08%
I use my RIGHT eye and I'm left handed 1 1.04%
I use my LEFT eye and I'm left handed 7 7.29%
You may not vote on this poll

#1    Top
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Poll: Which eye do you use?

I've been aware of it in the past but it also has resurfaced lately. Today I saw Bill's (WHolmes) post with him and his Nikon capturing a photo of his daughter using a Canon shooting him.....and she was using her left eye.

I've ALWAYS used my right eye but see and have heard ample evidence for using your left eye. Arguably I can better see around the left side of my camera than the wider right side...not that I'd do either. I've read that some people are right oriented and others left, ie presumably right vs left handed. I also read about right and left eye domination as it pertains to shooters (weapons!) and some quick tests to determine which you are.

So, per the poll above, WHICH eye to you use? Are you left or right handed? Note: you don't have to justify it.
  #2    Top
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Recent Photo: Published
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Poll: Which eye do you use?

"you don't have to justify it"

Well what if I want to?

OK here's my situation and why some people think I'm NUTS!

I shoot with my left eye because I have an astigmatism in my right. I shoot motorsports and ALL of them shoot with their right eye so they can see if danger is coming at them with their left eye. I have tried that and I just can't see to shoot with my right eye. I use the lens to see and my ears to hear.

https://www.facebook.com/sharnalee65

I am currently an Official Photographer for Delicious Dolls Magazine.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #3    Top
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Sharna, that's a perfectly legit rationale for using your left eye. Note that I don't believe this is a right or wrong issue. I've read that for ergonomic and stability reasons a left eye position is recommended, but that overlooks left or right eye dominance issues. As you've mentioned, some folks clearly have better visual performance in one eye vs the other.

I did a little reading on checking for eye dominance, ie left or right. One self test involved making a triangle out of your 2 thumbs and forefingers, held at arms length. Overlay the triangle on something in the distance using BOTH eyes. Now close one then the other eye. If the triangle aligned with both eyes is more like the position of either eye, then you are dominant on that eye. Another version is to hold your thumb, arm extended, over a distant object using both eyes. Alternate closing eyes. Dominant eye is the one still covering the object when other eye is closed.

Note: My poll above has an error in the 4th option, ie its a repeat of option 2. I've asked Tim to change the text to read "I use my LEFT eye and I'm left handed".
  #4    Top
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

You left out 1 option which fits me.

I shoot left eye and use both left and right hands (It all depends on the activity).

bat, golf left, kick right, throw right write write, use scizzors left, though I can use my right, bowl left. Shave with both hands. It all depend on what I am doing and what is comfortable at a time.

I don't think I have ever tried shooting with my right eye...might be a fun thing to try for an experiment.

Also both left eye options are the same
  #5    Top
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

*poll fixed as per Russ's request.

Also, I'm right/right... no particular reason... just how I've always done it.
  #6    Top
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:25 PM

I am right-handed; right-eye dominant; and I am that way because right is right! 'Nuff said!
  #7    Top
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I shoot with my left eye and I am right handed. Don't know why.
Bill H.
  #8    Top
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I shoot.... what else is there to say ...
I shoot right eyed, I do occasionally switch if something just requires it... not common. I've always been right dominate and so thats how I started shooting and always have. Shooting left eye is physically less comfortable as my nose gets even MORE in the way. Why don't they make a nice nose notch in the camera bodies, we don't need all that space we used to use for film, so give my nose a break... err more room.
  #9    Top
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Interesting post, Russ.

I am strongly right-handed (hammered home when I broke my right wrist), but I can bat with either hand. My swimming coach in high school always found it odd I breathed on my left side--apparently right-handed people usually breath on their right.

Anyway, I'm also right eye dominant, shoot with my right, and take pictures with my right. Sometimes, this causes issues as my nose occassionally presses the Menu button on my D300. I saw a techique from Scott Kelby once, where you steady your camera by using your left eye and shooting over your left shoulder. When I shoot my lonf lens without a tripod, I use this method and it works like a charm. I suppose it works opposite for folks who are left handed.

flickr Photostream
Sponsors
  #10    Top
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I think another interesting question would be who shoots using both eyes with live view.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > SLRs (Film & Digital)