Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:05 AM
Recent Photo: Haunted
Grad ND filter on camera vs. digital

I've been learning to use a grad nd filter, but seems kind of a hassle dealing with a filter holder compared with putting the effect on in lightroom 3 for example.

Can anyone comment on how these methods compare and pros and cons of each?
  #2    Top
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:19 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Grad ND filter on camera vs. digital

Depending on how much ND you have will greatly affect the shutter speed used to capture things like moving water..especially trying to shoot a stream at 2 pm. If you really want that soft silky look of the water you will need to slow your shutter to 1-2 seconds and may not be able to get there without the filter. That silky look is not something that can be put in with LR3. You might be able to photoshop it if you are good, but nothing will ever beat getting it straight out of the camera.

Overall with any image the more editing you add, the more potential for noise, artifacts and other undesirable affects from post processing.
  #3    Top
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:26 AM

Ok so the potential for artifacts, noise or undesirable effects sounds like a con. Thanks.

I have a variable ND screw on filter that I use to blur water and such, my question is really specific to the Grad ND filters used to even out exposures between dark and bright parts of a frame. From what little experimenting I've done I can't see much difference between the square filter and LR3 grad, except seems like I can be more precise in LR3.
  #4    Top
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

In a scene where the tonal range is somewhat smaller, you'll likely get better results using digital filters. In a scene that has a wide tonal range, you either have to take multiple shots or use a graduated nd filter to keep from blowing all of your highlights while still retaining enough detail in the darker areas. If you take a single shot under such conditions, you'll have to expose for your highlights to prevent blowing out all detail and, as a result, your shadows will be so dark that pulling detail from them will give you a lot of issues.

If you have the time, multiple shots and blending or HDR methods will provide superior results over filtering, but can only get one shot of the scene (i.e. moving objects) then using a filter makes more sense.
  #5    Top
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerTim View Post
I have a variable ND screw on filter that I use to blur water and such, my question is really specific to the Grad ND filters used to even out exposures between dark and bright parts of a frame. From what little experimenting I've done I can't see much difference between the square filter and LR3 grad, except seems like I can be more precise in LR3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
In a scene where the tonal range is somewhat smaller, you'll likely get better results using digital filters. In a scene that has a wide tonal range, you either have to take multiple shots or use a graduated nd filter to keep from blowing all of your highlights while still retaining enough detail in the darker areas. If you take a single shot under such conditions, you'll have to expose for your highlights to prevent blowing out all detail and, as a result, your shadows will be so dark that pulling detail from them will give you a lot of issues.

If you have the time, multiple shots and blending or HDR methods will provide superior results over filtering, but can only get one shot of the scene (i.e. moving objects) then using a filter makes more sense.
I agree with what Carl stated here in his first paragraph,,
I use GND's ALL the time when I do my landscapes, I dont use the holder, I hand hold my GND in front of the lens, I find that with the holder on my 10-22mm I catch part of the holder in my shots so I dont use it, as far as the "LR3" I assume that thats a screw on type grad filter ? Personally it wouldnt work for me, I use a Polarizer and need access to the polarizer, also if I stack another filter on top I certainly would have serious vignetting issues therefore thats out of the question,, a GND for me is a MUST have, if I shoot a sunrise I HAVE to have that there to prevent a total blow out and/or an underexposed foreground, if somethings is blown out a digital GND certainly is not going to help, GND's come in different sizes and if you dont like the holder try hand holding, getting your exposure as good as possible IN camera is a huge benefit
  #6    Top
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I also hand hold my GND filters. I use the 4x6 size filters.
  #7    Top
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

after thinking about it, I assume "LR3" is Lightroom 3 ??
  #8    Top
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I agree with Carl's, aka ohenry, take on the issue. Your camera can only handle 5-6 stops of contrast without either/or blocking up shadows or blowing out highlights, ie loss of detail. If you expose correctly for the non-GND portion of the scene AND the remainder is 1-2 stops brighter then digitally recovering the highlights is feasible in a single shot. However, once you have blown highlights or blocked up shadows, there is no recovery of what's not there, ie detail. If you're going to attempt the scene with a single image (vs HDR or blending of images) then a GND is recommended. They can be problematic re placement on irregularly shaped interfaces between darker and brighter parts of scenes, ie trees, buildings, mountain tops jutting up into a bright sky.

I use P sized (ie 85mm wide) GNDs on lenses up to 77mm filter threads (ie 10-22, 17-85, 70-200, 100-400) both with a Cokin slim holder and handheld (moreso the latter). I use P size vs 100mm widths as they're cheaper (considerably) and not as bulky. GNDs are either glass (Tiffen) or "optical grade" resin, ie CR39. I can't imagine attempting to take long, thin pieces of glass into the field.....I use resin GNDs. They do scratch and eventually need replacement....another reason to go with smaller, cheaper ones....if they work for you!

The deciding factor(s) for me re whether to use a holder is the duration of the shot, ie shutter speed. If its fairly quick OR if I want to "feather" in the transition, I'll handhold. If its a multi seconds shot, ie sunrise/set, and/or placement needs to be very precise I'll use a holder. I recommend using a holder at least initially as you get accustomed to placement of the transition line, ie using a stopped down aperture.
  #9    Top
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM

I reject the entire concept of replacing ND filters with software. The entire purpose of ND filters is to reduce the light entering the camera.
Software cannot after the fact reduce the amount of light that entered the camera to begin with.
#1 the cotton like look of water will not be produced
#2 and most importantly no amount of software will be able to restore details that were blown to oblivion by bright light or darkness that never revealed the details.
#3 Bokah will be a pain in the butt using software vs ND from the get go.
#4 Blur will be a pain in the butt using software vs ND
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...filter-ND.html

Of course some claim to do it with software ( http://gimpguru.org/Tutorials/NDFilter/ ) but in reality these scenarios did not really need ND filters to begin with. I can do the same thing by just lightening shadows in Photoshop elements - hardly a replacement/interchange for ND filters

I think the original premise/statement needs more explanation because the two are not simply options that are interchangeable.

note: "seems kind of a hassle dealing with a filter holder compare"
I handhold. I have hand held everything I had including installing the polarizer when shooting into the sun. I have a holder but rarely use it.
  #10    Top
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:51 PM

Thanks for all the good comments. I will keep practicing with my Grad ND filter and use digital for minor touch ups. I've tried handholding and seems to work good for shorter exposures, but my hand gets kind of shakey on the longer ones : ) I'll have to try a slim holder with my 10 - 22mm lens too. --Tim
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101