Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: DSC_1886
Has Photography Changed?

I received the July issue of Popular Photography the other day, and noticed something I thought was emblematic of a basic change, in the way people think. How many articles have you read in the past titled in effect "How to take better pictures" The new maybe subtle change, is to "How to make better pictures." Naturally now that I've told you about it I can't find the articlepith

P.S. Okay I found it, its on the cover "How To Make Great Pictures"

Last edited by pith; June 13th, 2011 at 06:24 AM.
  #2    Top
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Has Photography Changed?

Just another way of giving us the same rehashed stories I'm afraid. How many times can you write about "taking great pictures" or "making great pictures". Was there anything earth shattering you didn't already know about or know of?

How many times can you tell me how to upgrade my old PC? or build my own PC? Get the most out of my running shoes? Eat healthy to stay healthy? Do 100 situps and pushups, etc, etc, etc....

Print media IMO has pretty much run it's course for the most part. I was in a Barnes and Noble over the weekend with my wife. As I gazed through the racks and racks of magazines I don't think I saw one headline that reached out and sucked me in to the point of even picking something up and thumbing through it. Sad...

Now if you are really interested in what's up with Lady Ga Ga or Justin Beiber the magazine rack is your oyster! Although that in itself is probably the saddest commentary on our lifestyle these days.

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #3    Top
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

It may not be that bad to keep repeating the same stories because there are still a lot of newbies that are just starting out. People are able to shoot hundreds of photos now in a few hours but have not learned how to compose or edit. They get a new DSLR, a few lenses and become a professional within a week then need to find out why nobody is buying their masterpieces. Then they need to learn how to improve. It's just a big cycle!
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

HEY I represent that remark!!
Just kidding, I'm not a professional photographer, but I do need to improve and I have a new DSLR. As a matter of fact I have Two DSLRs.
  #5    Top
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I've been a serious hobby photographer for 40+ years so I've seen my share of "How to Take/Make Better Photos", but as has been said there are always newbies who haven't seen these articles. I've been getting Pop Photo since 1967 and I still look forward to each issue because there is almost always something of interest to me in each issue.

One of the great things about photography is that you are never finished learning. There are always new ideas and it's also good to revisit old ideas, especially when you have galloping senility.
  #6    Top
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: DSC_1886

Actually what I was fixated on was the emphasis on "making" a picture, as opposed to "taking" a picture. In other words the terminology seems to suggest that you are creating something, as opposed to recording something found.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it looks like you don't have a picture until you create something via software, rather than having something to start with which you enhance either through software, or the darkroom as in the past. pith

Last edited by pith; June 13th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
  #7    Top
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I know what you mean pith and I'm one of them. I can't leave an image alone, I use the gear I have to work with and can not do much with just "straight from the camera" shots, sooooo I go home and process them untill the image is the way I want it to be. Maybe that reality is not what I want, but a touch of fantacy, or is it "Art" ?
  #8    Top
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:09 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Technology moves forward in everything we do. Most people embrace it, while others lament about the good old days.

Having been in the darkroom doing color, b/w, and slide films...I love digital photography!
  #9    Top
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Speaking personally, in the "old days" most of us took a picture and then sent it off to a lab for it to be made into a print/slide/etc. Those labs pretty much "stuck to the middle" unless specifically told what to do, ie push process etc. A relatively few folks also dabbled in the lab side of things personally.....but that was expensive, tedious,consumed resources (ie space, time) and was not without some chemical risks. To me it was always frustrating to have that componenet largely inaccessible. Now in the digital age we not only get additional features and conveniences on the image taking part but the "back end", ie processing, now seems so much more accessible. For many of us, its the "new frontier".

However, I would hasten to say that "you can't make silk purses out of sow's ears!", ie you must still take a good pic and then process (ie make) it into its best.

As to magazines and their "depth", they are increasingly nothing more than sheets of advertising sandwiching less and less actual content that in itself is of less and less meatiness. At best there may be a small nugget or two of anything relevant/meaningful. IMO PopPhoto is a contender for "what once was good but now is the most superficial" status.......but that shouldn't surprise anyone who experienced what they've done to their forums! My subscription will expire and NOT be renewed....its a waste of trees!
  #10    Top
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Freud said that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I wouldn't read too much into the difference between take a picture vs make a picture. It could refer, like Russ said, to the fact that now we make the picture instead of the lab making the picture, that is we now do more in the total picture making process. It also could just be a change in language. Make is a more descriptive term. Make a picture implies more involvement than take a picture, and I think good photographers always made pictures rather than took them.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner