Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Ring Flash or Ring Light?

"What to buy?" type question here...

I want to do some macro photography, both animate and inanimate objects. I've got a Sigma 105 EX Macro I picked up a while back, which I'll be using on a Canon 60D and, possibly, a 30D modified for IR. My question is, am I better off getting a Ring Light (i.e. continuous light) or a Ring Flash? I don't have a lot of money to spend on it so I'll be going with one of the inexpensive units like the ones below.

Ring Light
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gital_LED.html

Ring Flash
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ght_Flash.html

Thanks,
-K
  #2    Top
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Ring Flash or Ring Light?

I do alot of macro work,, well,, in the spring time
personally I wouldnt want a light thats on ALL the time, I would recommend the flash,
  #3    Top
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I suppose that the advantage to a ring light (continuous or flash) is that the lighting is more even....but its also flat. While some macro photographers use ring lights, I think most use a positionally adjustable single or double headed flash. The 2nd head can be set to the same, greater, or lesser lighting strength and thereby giving a subtle shadowing or texturing and its associated sense of depth. I'd image continuous lighting to be too hot in that proximity to the creature and potentially making insects etc move prematurely. I also think that flash provides sufficient light by bursting at/near full strength BUT for VERY short periods of time, arguably freezing the action if its the principle light source. Personally, I'd use flash and, if money weren't an object, get a 2 headed flash independently controllable. A single head or single head flash and reflector perhaps are more economical in the short term.
  #4    Top
Old August 30th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I clicked on the link for the ring flash and the two cons for that particular unit that I see is no vari power and a recycle time of six seconds with alkaline batteries. Of course with no vari power you can adjust your exposure with the ISO settings and to a certain extent with shutter speed and aperture. With macro you need a small aperture for DOF and a fairly fast shutter speed to compensate for any movement so I would be inclined to adjujst my exposure with the ISO settings. This unit has drawbacks but when you're on a budget you have to do the best you can.

Jerry
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting